Tuesday, June 13, 2006

A Logo Story

I have recently adopted a logo that expresses a number of things about who I am and the perspectives I bring to a company.

My logo is a globe that appears to be bouncing on a large spring. The tagline I unofficially associate with it is, "I've got the world on a spring." This is a line that feels more like a line from a song (this is a not so subtle nod to Frank Sinatra's "I've Got the World on a String") that it does a marketing slogan. I wanted that feeling.

What are the ideas/sentiments that come along with this?
1) I am hard of hearing and it is a self-effacing laugh that I often have with those around me when I inadvertantly hear something other than what was said. It often leads to a mildly amusingly, but often hysterical communications hiccup.
2) This "creative hearing" helps me stay fresh. Ideas are always heard through the quirkiness of my unrealiable hearing. As such, I have learned to re-interpret my hearing in ways that are much like the way Wierd Al Yankovic re-interprets songs.
3) Springs are shock absorbers. Our world, our society, and we ourselves can use a shock absorber from time to time.
4) Springs are random. There are some properties that drive the bouncing of a spring, but if you have ever watched a jack in the box, or bounced on a bungee cord off a platform, you know the sensation of a little bit of uncertainty and random chaos that a spring can provide. Chaos is a wonderfully creative force.

All these ideas play into the logo that I use now. They sum up some key ideals that I wander around with and share with those I work and play with.

OB

No comments: