Monday, January 09, 2006

On Writing and Subtext

"The Soul lies buried in the ink that writes" - John Clare

Something that an actor spends a great deal of time thinking about is something called subtext. Simply put, subtext is the words beneath the words. If you have ever read a script you will see that there is a great deal of room for interpretation. Unlike a novel, where the writer is able to suspend time and imbue character interaction with descriptive narratives that leave no doubt in the reader's mind what the various character's intentions are, the plight of the playwright is to create a script where this extra layer is carried by the performer.

Let's look at an example, "I love you." Depending on the context of the situation, this seemingly obvious statement can be said a variety of ways. The playwright creates the scene and provides the actor with as much background as possible, but ultimately the control of how this line is performed is up to the actor himself. It is what the actor's mind is saying, the subtext, that colours the words that the actor's mouth speaks. It is incredible how subtle yet powerful this is.

I saw this same thing happening in the business organizations I worked in. Email is a fast and effecient method of communication. It is also ambiguous. The reader colours the subtext of the email with their own understanding of the writer. If they perceive the writer to be an inspiring team player, they will colour the words of the email in a completely different way than if they perceive the writer to be a condescending misanthrope.

Combine that with the use of email as a shield for those workers who lack the confidence and trust to speak directly to someone they have difficulty communicating with and you have some serious miscommunications happening in the office. I found myself not only observing this in others, but also in myself. I realized that I was sometimes "reading into" the email subtleties that weren't necessarily there. Suddenly, I found myself drawing on my acting skills to work through these difficult emails.

The first thing I would do is to do what I could to understand the writer. What are they trying to accomplish? What do they think they are saying? Sometimes I would force myself to read the email aloud with a smile on my face. Done honestly, I can discover some nuances in the message that you might have missed. Also, I would take the email to a trusted associate or objective third party and discuss it with them. This removes all the subtext that you read into the email and ultimately can expose perspectives I might not have seen. As I got better at re-interpreting these emails, I found that I was able to more easily work with the difficult person.

On the flipside, I have also found that some people come across very differently in email than in person. I have encountered individuals whose email character is completely different from their face to face character. While their personality might be short and abrasive, their emails are eloquent and patient. In these cases, I often try to ensure that before any face to face dealings I have with them, I re-read their emails to help filter what they say and do in person.

All in all, I have found it is important to remember the power of subtext as a tool for understanding myself and my co-workers. I am no saint, I don't always react well to email and have been known to over-react at times, but my acting skills have saved my butt more than once!

No comments: